If you’re being investigated or you’ve been charged with a crime, you need somebody on your side to fight for your rights. Whether you’re facing a misdemeanor or a felony, an experienced criminal defense lawyer can guide you through the legal system and get the best outcome.
Trust Covenant Legal Group With Your Criminal Defense
Attorney Mark Sherer has been practicing law since 1995 with a primary focus on criminal defense. As your criminal defense lawyer, Mark Sherer can give you valuable counsel and dedicated legal representation through all stages of your case. Your reputation and freedom are at stake and Attorney Mark Sherer will fight to give you the finest results.
Our Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Assist You With:
- Drug Crimes
- Driving Under Suspension
- Public Intoxication
- Assault and Battery
- Juvenile Offenses
- Credit Card Theft
- Disorderly Conduct
- Domestic Violence
- Federal Crimes
- Gun Crimes
- Hit and Run
- Probation Violations
- Resisting Arrest
- Violent Crimes
- Traffic Tickets
Get Help From a Criminal Defense Lawyer Near You
If you need a criminal defense lawyer in western North Dakota, Covenant Legal Group can give you the support you deserve. Our criminal defense lawyer can help you in the following cities:
- Dunn Center
- Watford City
- And more!
Our Criminal Defense Lawyer’s Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if the police stop me on the street?
- You do not have to answer any questions. Feel free to say, “I don’t want to talk to you” and walk calmly away.
- If you aren’t comfortable just walking away, ask if you are free to go. If the answer is yes, walk away. Don’t run!
- If the officer says you are not free to leave, then you are being detained. Being detained is not the same as being arrested, but you could be arrested later. You do not need to answer any questions if you are detained or arrested.
- You do need to give your name. What they say on TV is true: “Anything you say can and will be used against you.”
- The police can pat down the outside of your clothing, but only if they have reasonable suspicion to believe that you may be armed and dangerous. If they do more than pat you down, say clearly “I do not consent to a search”.
What should I do if the police stop me in my car?
- Keep your hands where police can see them, at all times
- You must show your driver’s license, registration, and proof of insurance if requested. Have that ready before the officer gets to your car door.
- If it is night, turn on the interior light.
- The police cannot search your car unless you give them consent unless they have “probable cause”.
What do I do if I am arrested?
- You have a constitutional right to remain silent. Give your name, but do not answer any other questions, no matter what the police tell you.
- You have a constitutional right to an attorney. Ask for one right away. The police are not allowed to question you without an attorney present after you ask for one.
- The police can and will listen to phone calls or visits in the jail with anyone other than your attorney.
Get a Free Consultation With An Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer Near You
At Covenant Legal Group, our mission is to help clients meet the legal needs of modern society, but with the values of classic customer service. There’s no charge for an initial call with Criminal Defense Lawyer Mark Sherer, who will be happy to speak with you and answer your questions.